smallholderwannabe

This blog is mainly a rambling kind of diary of the transition from smallholderwannabe to smallholder.

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Bargains and busy-ness

Life just seems so busy at the moment. Since my last post we've had two short trips to Cambridge which I find very tiring. We came back last night from the second. It was rather wet in Cambridge yesterday...... Not much good for sightseeing! Happily I found the library and spent the afternoon there in the warm and drying out. I also read a John Grisham from beginning to end. It is a long time since I had enough free time to read a whole book in one go but I really enjoyed being able to do that.

I was supposed to be going cycling with a friend this morning but the drizzle turned to heavy rain so we changed our minds about the ride. Maybe we are more like fair weather cyclists : )  I've enjoyed going cycling recently. Our local council is trying to encourage people to get out cycling more, both for health reasons and to promote leaving the car at home. I've got my level 2 cycling proficiency now although I feel really insecure on the major roads still. Free classes - my favourite price. I've finished the course now but we are allowed to borrow the bikes and go in small groups out locally for a couple of hours. I'm hoping to acquire a bike now. And Christmas is coming...

It is soup season again so I'm back making soup for our church coffee shop every week. This week I made carrot and leek. They were on offer in Aldi in their super six so it seemed sensible as it makes it rather cheaper to produce 3-4 gallons of soup. Next week it will be pumpkin soup, hopefully, as there are so many pumpkins in the shops right now.

We have a new Lidl in our area which opened today. I've been to shop there this afternoon - by car. For six weeks, if you show the card they were handing out today, they will give you a free grocery item each week on spending £20. I reckon I'll be there most weeks for the next six weeks too. I can stock up on things that I will need for Christmas and the freebies are things that I use.

We called in at Tesco on the way home from Cambridge last night. I've never had so many bargains midweek. We brought back a boxful for our son, our daughter and my best friend as well as for us. We have some things that I would never have paid for, such as venison sausages (40p!) and there were also mega bargains like bread at 3p. All the recipients were thrilled and it was really good to be able to give them all such a nice gift. It cost us very little to give them each their box and it will make a real difference to their housekeeping budget this week.

386 items gone


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home